GET RPAS CERTIFICATION FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES
Changes to the Civil Aviation Act mean that the use of RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems, also known as drones) for commercial purposes is now regulated.
The South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) views any drone flying in the sky as an aircraft that must abide by the same law as manned aircraft. This means a commercial drone pilot must go through a number of certification processes, from getting a Remote Pilot’s License (RPL) to a Remote Operating Certificate (ROC). Once an operator has these certificates, they can operate commercially.
How does my organisation apply for a ROC?
To obtain a ROC, interested parties have to apply to the following institutions for accreditation and approvals:
- SACAA (South Africa Civil Aviation Authority)
- DTI (Department of Trade and Industry)
- ICASA (Independent Communication Authority of South Africa)
- SACAA registered RPAS Training Organisation
- Each one of the items listed below entails its own application process supported by a range of supplementary documents and manuals which must be created to suit the unique needs of your organisation:
- Radio Station License
- RPL (Remotely Piloted Aircraft License)
- Air Services Company License
- RLA (RPAS Letter of Approval, per aircraft)
- RPAS Registration Certificate, per aircraft
- ROM (SACAA approved RPAS Operation Manual)
- ROC (RPAS Operating Certificate)
- The ROC is the final approval for commercial operation, though it is important to note that the operator is still subject to bi-annual audits and other ongoing compliance requirements as per the regulations.
AS PART OF OUR TECHNICAL COMPLIANCE CONSULTATION SERVICES, WE CAN MANAGE EVERY PART OF YOUR ONBOARDING PROCESS UNDER OUR ROC. ONCE FULLY INTEGRATED, WE'LL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Flight operations management, including safe and reliable operation processes
- Fleet maintenance management, ensuring compliant, airworthy craft and trained staff
- Quality assurance, including SOPs and audits
- Safety management services for safe and secure operation and behaviour
- Fleet security management, including security processes and inspections
- Professional IP services coordination
Why work with DCGeomatics?
As one of South Africa’s leading aerial surveying and media services companies, we are dedicated to compliance in every respect. We work with accredited suppliers and offer accreditation and training courses to individuals interested in working in aviation.
When it comes to certification for your commercial RPAS, we have the skills and experience to help! Let us handle the certification process for you, ensuring a safe, compliant operation.